Community Archaeology Forum cba logo
Community Archaeology cba logo
The CBA's Community Archaeology Resource

CBA-endorsed Insurance Scheme

Many years ago the Council for British Archaeology recognised that archaeologists of all backgrounds, be they professional or voluntary, need insurance cover in order to carry out their activities properly. An insurance scheme was devised whereby all organisations big and small could benefit from a bulk purchased insurance arrangement which would keep premiums low.

Working together with the Institute for Archaeologists (I f A) and the scheme brokers, this scheme has eventually transformed into the specialist insurance arrangements now available through Towergate Risk Solutions Fareham (TRS Fareham). It is operated by specialists with unrivalled knowledge and experience of the insurance and risk management needs of archaeologists and the insurance solutions available to them for their work in the UK and abroad. The CBA & I f A therefore continue to endorse and support this scheme as being of great value in enabling archaeological activities.

Towergate Risk Solutions Fareham currently offer special insurance policies covering Public & Products Liability, Employers Liability, Professional Indemnity, Hired-in Plant and Equipment, Office Contents including Business Interruption, Buildings, Motor Fleet, Charity Trustees, Legal Expenses, Directors & Officers Insurance, and many others. Please contact Tariq Mian on tel: 01329 228791 or email for further details, or go to

The scheme is open to organisations who are affiliated to the CBA (or a CBA Regional Group, CBA Wales/Cymru or Archaeology Scotland), or are full members of the I f A. Please visit our membership section for further information on affiliate membership and to download an application form, or contact us for further details.

in the field in proper health and safety kit

The scheme covers a comprehensive suite of products including:

* Public and products liability: To insure each participating organisation for legal liability to third parties for bodily injury or property damage, including persons taking part in excavations, fieldwork, meetings, site visits and other bona-fide activities of the organisation.
* Personal accident: To insure members/employees/volunteers against accidents whilst actively engaged on behalf of the organisation.
* Employer’s liability: Such cover is compulsory for organisations using supervised labour of any kind (whether volunteers or employees) under the Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act.
* All risks equipment cover: To cover the replacement cost in respect of equipment, machinery and site huts used on site.
* Hired in plant and all risks on equipment in the field: This covers loss of or damage to hired in plant, hand tools, laptop computers, theodolites, site huts and all equipment which is taken away from the main premises belonging to you or hired or leased by you and for which you are responsible.
* Building and contents insurance and business interruption: To cover all risks of physical loss or damage in respect of your property whilst kept in your premises. Business interruption is provided for the additional expenditure necessarily and reasonably incurred as a consequence of damage to the premises in order to continue in business.
* Professional indemnity insurance: Provides cover for civil liability arising from a negligent act or omission committed by you, and for claims arising from any dishonest or fraudulent act or omission, including defence costs. It can sometimes extend to include libel and slander.
* Directors & officers or charity & trustees indemnity insurance: Provides cover for losses and defence costs you may be liable to pay arising from any actual or alleged breach of duty or trust, neglect, error or omission.
* Legal expenses insurance: Covers standard legal costs incurred following employment disputes and compensation awards, legal defence, property protection, bodily injury, tax protection (including VAT disputes), as well as providing helplines for tax & business advice, counselling and European Law, Optional covers can include contract disputes cover and debt recovery.
* Combined insurance policies for museums: Is available to cover the buildings and/or contents of museums together with ancillary cover for money, assault, business interruption cover and liability cover.
* Travel insurance: Offered for trips anywhere in the world and can incorporate archaeological activities. This full travel insurance cover includes medical, repatriation, cancellation & curtailment cover, public liability, legal expenses, baggage and money, etc.


valid xhtml 1.0 Transitionalvalid xhtml 1.0 Transitional
CBA, St Mary's House, 66 Bootham, York YO30 7BZ.
tel: +(44) (0)1904 671417 | fax: +(44) (0)1904 671384 | email:
valid cssvalid css